Madeinblog

Monday, May 2, 2011

DIY; Turn a shirt into a necklace!

Hi everyone! I spent the week-end studying and before I go crazy… I decided to do something creative! I don’t know about you but I have WAY too many tops and t-shirts and a lot of them end up being worn once or twice then they are destined to sit at the bottom for my drawer until I decide to donate my clothes…

IMG_0125

So I decided to use some old t-shirts and turn them into something completely different!! First, I started off with an old Sushi Shop uniform t-shirt… since I don’t plan in working there for the rest of my life… this was the first one to go!

IMG_0096Bye bye Sushi Shop memorabilia (I actually have 2 more left… oups!)

You will need:

  • An old T-shirt (clean, please)
  • A pair of fabric scissors
  • A needle and a thread
  • Decorative elements (chains, charms, etc.)

Let’s get started!

IMG_0097

First, you want to cut the collar and the hem. Then, cut the sleeves off but do not throw them away; you will need them later! From then, you want to cut fabric stripes betwenn 3/4 of an inch to an inch. Make sure you have a good pair of scissors; as silly as it sounds, this is going to make the whole process a lot easy ( I had to borrow my mom’s left handed scissor for this tutorial and it was VERY hard to cut haha)

IMG_0098

You’re going to have a lot of strips and now the fun begins: pull each strips in order to make it longer and roll on itself, forming a rope! Once you are done, you can start designing your scarf. From there, I used Heckahaute’s tutorial and made my own necklace!

IMG_0101

Instead of making mine all loose ropes on the top part, I decided to braid them instead. I also used less ropes at the bottom and added a few chains.

IMG_0118

There you have it; a nice and easy way to transform a t-shirt into a bold accessory that can make a nice statement on any outfit!

Let me know if you try this out, I would love to see pictures! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment